Thursday 18 June 2015

We Are Writers!

Have been putting some dummy books together to give the Young Writers some ideas for their own masterpieces.  I will bring them along to this Saturday's session and they can choose which one they want to use as a model.  I will also bring along any other paraphernalia that might help together with one final pointer sheet to help them on their way.  Isn't it exciting?  I can remember producing my very first book without any adult help at all other than asking for some paper and for my mum to staple it together.  Then I drew the cover illustration, added the title, opened it to the contents page and then wrote my story.  Finally - to be doubly sure it would not fall apart (even though it did after working its way round the entire family and most of my classmates at school as well), I put a length of sellotape down the spine.    I wish I still had that book.  I have one of its sequels which was written in an exercise book so it does not show the same kind of flair.  It is the only one to survive those halcyon days though so I will fetch it along and let the Young Writers see it.

Pleased to announce that two weeks on my knee has almost recovered from its mishap.  I actually did a lot more damage than I thought because bruising also began to show all the way down the shin and on the inside of my ankle - which also swelled up.  All things considered it is something of a miracle that I didn't end up down the A & E!  But after careful TLC, lots of massage and Volterol gel, it has finally started to settle down.  There is still some bruising but it is fading fast.  Water under the bridge now ...

Had a lovely evening at the 70th anniversary party for Croydon Writers last night held in a function room at Fairfield Halls.  When I was introduced to the Mayor, she said "Oh - I know this lady ..." - turns out  that last year she enquired about  Addiscombe Young Writers for her daughter -who in the end was unable to join due to music lessons being held at the same time.  I did get lots of  feedback about Addiscombe Young Writers though and it was all positive.  So well done to all our budding authors!

See you Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment