Sunday 10 March 2013

Session 16 - Feedback

Hi everyone.  Thank you for your patience.  There has been so much going on that I never seem to get five seconds to myself - let alone five minutes!  Never mind - here I am now, so let's get cracking.

Firstly - what a whopper of a session last Wednesday!  19 young writers!  Fantastic turnout so thank you all very much.  Last week, we looked at Descriptive Writing.  This is a very important foundation stone for any writer and is of course used in every genre, be it poetry, prose, non-fiction, fiction or plays.  I asked the Young Writers to describe PMT as the session exercise and then to describe their home for the assignment.  I asked them to remember things like colours, smells, sounds etc because all this helps to make things real for any readers in the future.  If these assignments can be handed in at the next session (see below) that would be great.

Thanks to everyone who entered the Mother's Day poetry competition.  It will take me a couple of weeks to read through these so please be patient with me.  As I explained to the children, there can only be three winners, but everyone who entered will get a certificate in recognition of their work.  Since this seems to have been such a huge success, I will plan a couple more over the rest of the year if possible.  I am looking forward to reading through the entries for this one, though, so once again, thank you.  And I hope you have all had a lovely Mothering Sunday!

Now a quick update on a couple of other things.  Regarding the Exhibition.  I am so sorry we have had to postpone this again.  With imminent redundancy hanging over my head, I have been tied up for a while as I try to get things back on track, and preparation for the exhibition fell by the wayside.  On top of that, Nicky the artist with whom we are sharing the exhibition, has been unwell, so it made sense to hold off for the time being.  It WILL happen at some point, I promise you, and I will make sure it goes with a bang when it does!

The trip to Polka Theatre on 23rd March has been confirmed.  We pay for the tickets upon arrival at the theatre.  We will meet at PMT on that day at around 9.15 to leave at 9.30.  The show begins at 11am and will run for 90 minutes which includes a 20 minute interval.  The Back Stage Tour will probably be done in two or three groups and takes about 15 minutes, but I know there is a Teddy display there and that there is a cafeteria, so it shouldn't be too long a wait for anybody.

And finally.  I have been lucky enough to secure another job when my current one ends which starts on Wednesday 3rd April.  The new job is 9 - 5, Monday to Friday, so Wednesday afternoon sessions for the Young Writers will come to an end.  Anxious to keep the momentum going, however, I have had a chat with Amanda and she has suggested we try Sunday afternoons, 3 - 4, for a couple of months and see how it pans out.  I hope this is all right for everyone but I will understand if it is doesn't suit everybody.  If it doesn't work out, we might have to fold, which I know we all feel would be a tragedy, especially with everything going so well.  Hopefully it won't come to that.  Let's give the Sundays a fair crack of the whip first, shall we?

Having said all that, there will be a session next week - but on Thursday 21st, usual time.  And we still have the Polka trip on 23rd.  Steve and I are actually away the week after that for a few days and, of course, I start my new job the week after that.  Plus Easter falls somewhere in the middle.  All being well, though, I should tentatively like to suggest our first Sunday session take place on Sunday 14th April, 3 - 4 at PMT.  And I will confirm that nearer the time, depending on any feedback from yourselves.  I do hope we can keep things going and will keep my fingers crossed.

I think that is everything for now.  Great to see you all last week and see you again next Thursday.  Till then - Good Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment