Wednesday 6 February 2013

Session 14 - Feedback

The Young Writers were amazing today!  I couldn't believe how well they all listened to everything and how beautifully behaved they were for the SLP photographer!  I am so proud to be associated with your children; I can't even begin to tell you all.  They are an amazing, inspiring and hugely talented bunch.  And so keen!  They truly are a credit to all you mums and dads!

The assignment set today arose from a reading from the first chapter of my book "The Tutstwaddle Ghosts", which was written some ten years ago and left in a drawer eversince.  The story is a short, comical adventure about how a group of kid-friendly ghosts try to hang onto the repuation of the Most Haunted Cottage In England when the cottage's mean and nasty owner Mrs Ellis decides to have the house knocked down and the area redeveloped.  The first chapter introduces all the main characters - ghosts of course - who are Clara, aka The Crying Girl, The Silver Lady, The Mad Monk (with his ball and chain), Twin One and Twin Two and Rasp, the ghost cat.  Clara also has a secret companion in Ted - an enchanted teddy bear.  The challenge to the young writers is to say what happens next.  I told them they could either use these characters, or invent their own.  It can either be funny or scary, told as a story, in a poem - or however they like.  The purpose of the exercise is to introduce them to 'formula writing' - which is when the idea is there to be developed by the writer - for example, when I wrote the jelly baby stories for Trebor Bassett back in the 80s.  Oliver told me he didn't want to write about the ghosts, which is fine.  I suggested another Star Wars story which elicited a smile!

Thank you to those parents who have already made their contribution towards printing costs of Word Magic - I will bring a receipt book with me to the session on 20th and make sure everyone gets one.

Sorry I didn't have time to pick the books up today.  I promise I will have them by next session.

All the best everyone - and good writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment