Thursday 26 April 2018

Still Thriving...

Such a relief that fourteen children came along to last Saturday's session (including two newbies, so welcome to Shaun and Jack).  Having announced my departure in June, I rather expected all my regulars to give up on the group and abandon it so I was very pleased to see so many of you there; huge thanks to you all.

We continued to work on story writing, and on this occasion, I was demonstrating one particularly effective way to create convincing characters to give their stories even more oomph.  They adapted this so well that many then showed me characters they had invented that actually sounded like people they knew!  This just goes to show that there is a natural writer in each and every one of these children and I do so hope that they will continue to nuture this long after I have moved to the south coast!  I know Sara will do her best so please support her the way you have supported me all these years.

Addiscombe Young Writers is something of an anomaly really.  When I started it six years ago, I really had no idea how I was going to make it work and in my haste to put together a manual for Sara, I have come up with some astonishing factoids.
* Approximately 150 children have been members.
* There has been one exhibition of work.
* Two books produced.
* Close on 500 certificates awarded.
* Five picnics in the park.
* Around twelve children have been presented with books designed to help them hone their craft.
* Approximately 200 exercise books have been given out.
* There's been two group mascots.
* An estimated 300 work and exercise sheets have been produced.
And that isn't all by a long shot. 

I am so proud of you all, children and grown-ups alike and very proud indeed of everything the group has achieved.

See you all on 5th May.

No comments:

Post a Comment