Sunday 8 April 2018

And The Big News Is ...

Thank you to everyone who came along to Saturday's Young Writer session.  Being the tail end of the Easter holidays, I was not sure how many of you would be able to make it so it was a pleasant surprise that eight Young Writers turned up with their grown-ups in tow.

Now that the session is over, I can make a more general announcement about what is going on and it's this.  Me and hubby Steve will be moving down to the South Coast at some point before the end of the year so I will not be running  the Young Writer group from 2nd June onwards.  When I first spoke to the library team about this way back in January, I asked if there was any way they could envision continuing the group once I have moved on.  It eventually transpired that Sara - who runs the Chatterbooks group at Ashburton Library - would be interested in perhaps amalgamating the two and, on Saturday, came along to introduce herself and Chatterbooks to the Young Writers.

This will inevitably mean some changes, which Sara is keen to embrace.  Chatterbooks is mainly a reading group but they do encourage Creative Writing in the way of competitions, guest speakers and adventures in writing by perhaps imagining what it would be like to be the hero or heroine of whatever book the group had reviewed.  I will be giving Sara a manual detailing how I have run AYW - ie the Certificate Trail and awards and we will all just have to see how things pan out.

As I said on Saturday, I will still be contactible by email and most of you should have my mobile number so if your talented wordsmiths need advice, I will  endeavour to oblige.  One mum asked if I could continue the group virtually and this is something I will have to look into before I can let you all know - a lot depends on time and my other commitments, but having said that, I would certainly like to hear how everyone progresses, so it will not be goodbye, just cheerio.

I will be around for the next four sessions and I am still going to compile our poetry leaflet, so all is not lost.

I will update on everything we did writingwise next post in a day or two but I wanted to bring you all up to speed following Saturday's announcements.  Speak soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jilly

    So sorry that Adeniyi and Seyi could not attend on Saturday.

    Rest assured they will be at the next meeting.

    Congratulations on your news! You will be missed, but wow, the South Coast will be a lovely change. We wish you all the best, but of course will see you at the writing sessions in the coming weeks.

    Regards

    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marsha, for your positive feedback. See you Saturday.

    ReplyDelete