Monday 9 January 2017

Who Is Our New Bear ...

Amazing first session of the year last Saturday when fourteen Young Writers turned up, including five possible new members!  What a cracking start to 2017!  I am afraid I was not really at my best, though.  I was feeling somewhat under the weather but I am pleased to relate that I am now feeling much better and I thank you all for your kind concern.

I was most pleased to be able to bring along the new Mascot having retired Maddy who had started coming apart at the seams (she is certainly a well loved bear who has had lots of exciting adventures). I asked the children for ideas for names and part of their challenge for the next session is to come up with some suggestions.  The name that comes up most will be the winner. For the Young Writers' information, our new bear is male as opposed to female, so hopefully any suggestions will take that into consideration.

One of the key topics for last Saturday was to decide how Addiscombe Young Writers should celebrate its fifth birthday this year.  I made a number of suggestions and the one that got the biggest show of hands was a party, so I will discuss this with our lovely librarians and find out the best way to proceed. I do have one other idea in mind which I will come back to in due course - I need to do some research first.

There was no specific assignment set - being the first session after the Christmas break - these will start again next session.  But I did say that if the Young Writers want to write something and present it on the 21st at our next session, it will still count towards their next certificate.  On this occasion anything goes - poem, story, letter, review - whatever they like.

Finally big thanks to all the members who presented letters to their favourite authors.  I will go through these in time for the next session.

'Til then - have a good January.

No comments:

Post a Comment