Sunday 21 September 2014

Totally Amazing!

Excellent Young Writer session at the library yesterday.  Huge thanks to everyone that turned up and to those who have already submitted their comment slips.  There were ten members present yesterday! This is great stuff!  I took a number of trigger objects in and encouraged the children to let these inspire them.  Some of the ideas that came out of the next forty minutes were amazing.  These kids are amazing.  They are so enthusiastic and get so excited by every challenge set.  They all appear to be looking forward to the exhibition next month and I am getting repeated requests for a second volume of poetry.  I cannot blame them for this one iota and it is something I am considering for next year.  My problem is funding.  The first volume looks great and I am so proud of the work put in by the Young Writers.  But due to circumstances beyond my control at the time, it was published at a loss to me of around £60 - and I am still trying to recoup that.   It does not sound like much but until I recoup it, putting another volume together might not be realistic.   I might have to look at other options if we are to pursue the next one - perhaps local sponsorship is one and I will look into it next spring.    In the meantime, it is very exciting that this is what they all want.  It gives them all a common goal. And a common goal is a powerful thing!

I sent the youngsters home reminding them to bring in their work next week for consideration for display at the exhibition.  Even work they have not produced for the group would be massive asset, so anything at all they have written must be brought in next week and I will use as much of it as I can.  Also, there is still time to get your comment slips in if you haven't already.

The colouring pencils seemed to go down well yesterday.   I shall have to remember them in future.  I should have thought of it sooner because when I ran the junior workshops (many moons ago), I always made sure there were colouring pencils available and they always got used.
 
A great big Addiscombe Young Writers welcome to new member yesterday Amara (I hope I have spelt that correctly).  She did come along to a session with the original group once and it was lovely to be able to welcome her back.  She seemed to get stuck in ok and did not appear in the least bit phased to be meeting us all.   Look forward to seeing you again next week, Amara.

Just to confirm before I go that there will be another session next Saturday (27th), which has been brought forward from the following week as I have a wedding to go to that day and obviously won't be able to be there.  Please refer to the blog before last when I am sure I gave you a list of all the session dates up to Christmas.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again next Saturday.   Good Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment