Tuesday 1 March 2016

Great Session

We had a good session on Saturday! Thirteen Young Writers came along, including three new members and two returning newbies which is totally brilliant!  We continued our foray into writing for comics and I asked the Young Writers what kind of story they feel would work well in comic form.   It was great to see so many new ideas - and some not so new ones - and I pointed out why it is better to be original and come up with your own characters.  Using Star Wars and Beano characters is ok at this stage - but thinking up your own characters and putting them into a totally new situation - is much better.  I think they got it.

The big announcement was that a local councillor has offered to fund the production of our new book and with this in mind the assignment set was to come up with a short story, specifically for our new book.  I referred the children to the original Word Magic because there are a few short stories written by former members in there, which should get them thinking.

The plan for the new book is to introduce some samples of as much as we have covered over the past year as possible.  I decided starting with stories should be the first step.  Some of the poetry handed in recently is already in my file because the standards of their work are so high that I want to share it with the world!

As with the previous book, I will be handing out consent forms to all the grown-ups over the next couple of sessions and the children will be getting Author Profile forms to complete and hand in.  I want each contributor to be recognised for their work.

The other announcement is that I will be holding a competition for this summer's project - more details of that later.

So all in all it was a very successful session and I was thrilled to see the childrens' excitement when I announced we'd be publishing a new book this year!

The next session is on 12th March.  I look forward to seeing you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment