Tuesday 13 October 2015

Onwards and Upwards ...

Great session with the Young Writers on 3rd October.  For several it was their first session since before the summer holidays so it was very exciting to see that they have lost none of their enthusiasm!  Sticking with story writing, this time I gave them a closing line And with a grin, she disappeared around the corner, never to be seen again.   This left the brief wide open and had them scratching their heads.  A couple wanted to know if they could slightly alter it - which, of course, is perfectly okay as long as the gist of it remained.  The real puzzle came when I set the assignment though - because I said the assignment was to take that very same line and adapt it so that it could open a story.  One said "But how can it?"  So I replied "That's the challenge!"  It will be interesting to see how they tackled it.

During the session I had quite a long chat with our eldest member Bethany who, at eleven and just into high school, clearly needs new challenges and responsibilities.  I have also spoken to Bethany's mum and I have both their approval to slightly change her role within the group whilst tailoring her assignments to more suit her age.  I will let the other members know at this Saturday's session that Bethany is now going to be helping me to help them and that will be beneficial to all of us.  Anyway we can see how it goes.

I'd like to thank the mum who came to me last week, having read the previous post,  and said she is happy to contribute something towards future competitions and the next book and I will be getting back to her.  This appeal is still very much open and anything you can put in will truly help; it does not have to be a huge amount, so please think about this and either come and talk to me or call my mobile (07909518147) or email me on jillyhendersonlong@gmail.com  Or comment on this blog.

All being well will see you all this weekend.  Good Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment