Tuesday 19 May 2015

Excellent ...!

Unbelievably successful is the only way I can describe last Saturday's Picnic In The Park Young Writer session at Ashburton Park!  Ten children came along (supported by around half a dozen parents) and the weather was very kind to us.  Just like last time, the first thing I did was send the children off to play on the swings and things and ten minutes later I called them all back and handed out the worksheets.  I asked the youngsters to write a list of colours they'd seen and also what sounds they had heard and had them writing down their experiences for the next fifteen minutes before sending them all off again for a runabout.

During their play, I noticed how the grown-ups had intermingled which was lovely and quite a few of them wanted to talk to me about the group itself, so it was all very sociable.  After another ten minutes or so, I called the Young Writers back and asked each in turn how the session had helped them and what they'd enjoyed.  Their eyes were sparkling, their faces flushed from the fresh air and the general consensus was that the session had helped them to notice thing more and had also helped with their descriptive skills.  So all in all - very satisfactory for everyone concerned.  I shall have to see if we can do it again.

No assignment set this time.  At the next session, on 7th June, we will move on and start  to put together our book.  We will decide exactly what kind of book it will be - whether it will be one long story, several short stories or poetry and whether or not they want to also illustrate it.  It is going to be very exciting.

So the next session is on 6th June, at the library this time so any assignments they have accrued should be brought along that day and I will hand back those I have read and commented on.

Thanks for making the last session so successful everyone; I am so pleased everyone enjoyed it.

Good writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment