Monday 12 January 2015

Feedback From Session (10/01/15)

Had eight Young Writers at Saturday's first session of 2015.  I am taking them in the Poetry direction at least for the next few sessions as they worked diligently on stories in the run-up to the Christmas break.  I had planned to introduce the Young Writers to Haiku but because I know syllables are not the easiest thing in the world to get to grips with if it is your first time, I also came up with an introduction to writing Nursery Rhymes which I offered to the younger members who have not yet met syllables.  This being the case I gave the children the option and three went for Nursery Rhymes whilst the rest went for Haiku.

As ever they applied themselves a hundred per cent but even the Nursery Rhymes proved too much for one member who probably had not had the chance to get back into Young Writer mode so soon after Christmas.  I never want these youngsters to lose their most important strengths with Creative Writing and that is their love and enjoyment of it.  I frequently try to impress on them that the sessions are not an extension of school and that it is quite okay sometimes to either not want to join in or to find something is proving rather more difficult than usual.  Even grown-up writers with decades of experience suffer from Writer's Block sometimes - and I speak from experience!  If you take the fun out of Writing it ceases to be a pleasure and becomes a dreadful chore - something I am anxious for them to avoid.  Fortunately the member in question soon recovered her composure so my hope is that she comes back refreshed and raring to go next time.

The first copy of the newsletter should be available by the end of March as I am looking at producing them quarterly.  Still none too sure how this will work out but I will draw on my experience with Word Magic and get the best out of it.  I have told the Young Writers that not everyone will get into every newsletter, but that everyone will get in at some point, so they will all have some coverage.  I only have limited resources right now and producing it quarterly will probably be the best way to start.  We still have not got a title for this so I will review those submitted already and get one picked in time for the first issue.

I have also explained to the members that I am going to be looking at other possible venues where they can experience a different environment in which to get the most of their five senses - perhaps a picnic in a park or a trip to a different library.  Once I have some clearer ideas on this I will let you all know.  They won't be until the warmer weather arrives, anyway, so I have a couple of months in which to work a few things out.

Assignments set were to produce at least one new Haiku or Nursery Rhyme by the next session.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the next session on the 24th.  If you have any comments or suggestions please get in touch.  Till then - Good Writing everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment