Wednesday 30 April 2014

Onwards and Upwrads

Had a really good session last Saturday.  The Young Writers seem to be really getting into it now and it is great to see them working so diligently!  At this session we were looking at how trigger objects can help to build story ideas and we recapped on different ways to open and develop stories as well as the various ways to finish them.  I handed out Pointer Sheets which summarised everything we have so far covered.  I think it would be a great idea to do these quite regularly because then the members have something tangible they can refer back to if they need to.    The final assignment of the Writing Stories section is to write a story using one of the trigger objects, incorporating everything we have covered - how to begin, how to develop characters and plot and how to close.  The next session is on Saturday 17th May, so if they can return these then, that would really help us to move on to poetry which is where we're going next.  And don't forget every assignment completed counts towards their next certificate on the Certificate Trail!  One young lady asked if she could write her assignment in the notebook I gave her and this is fine so long as she lets me know so that I can ensure it is read and registered towards the next milestone.

I will be emailing Cathryn and Lucy at the library shortly to see if we can look at possible dates for the proposed Exhibition of Work.  I think October/November time would be about right so I will let you all know as soon as we firm up the dates.  The children have also asked a couple of times if their work will find its way into "the yellow book" and this is something else I will be looking at, possibly for next year sometime, so again, I will let you know.

With Bank Holidays - and a number of other commitments coming up -  I have decided that, for the time being at least, I will let everyone know the next session date as we end the current session.  These will still run approximately every fortnight and I will try to ensure two sessions are fitted into each month (except for August), but some flexibility would be appreciated.  Keeping an eye on the blog will also help so feel free to browse as often as you wish!

Finally I'd just like to thank you all for your continued support, the library staff for their enthusiasm and, of course, the Young Writers themselves for all their hard work.

See you in a couple of weeks - and enjoy your Bank Holiday weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment