Wednesday 12 March 2014

FANDABIDOSY!!

Hello and welcome to the first blog post for the new era of Addiscombe Young Writers!  Our relaunch session at the library on Saturday went really well!  Sitting in the library at some specially reserved tables, I watched as one by one, people began to trickle over.  I was so pleased to receive four new members and to welcome back, for the first half hour anyway, Alessandro - one of the "old boys".  The whole setting, the ambiance, being able to sit next to the Young Writers one at a time if they got stuck, being in a Book place, full of - well - books - with millions of words whispering silent welcomes all around us - it was just magical.

So a big welcome to the new members and their mums and dads and - as promised (albeit a little later than I had planned) - here is the feedback, plus a little information about the way the group works.  Firstly, I thought we would get off to an easy start.  I wanted to just get the children actually writing so I pretty much gave them a free rein. When one youngster got stuck, I wrote her name in her notebook and asked her to put a word to each letter.  In no time they were almost all trying this exercise, just playing with words, seeing them as something to have fun with and I could see their confidence building up as the minutes ticked by.  It was hugely rewarding!  At the end of the session I handed out Assginment Sheets and asked them to write down what they would like to get out of this group, and do at future sessions, and to bring those back to the next session.  I will then bring them home and read through them and make appropriate comments, as well as take any suggestions on board to carry forward where possible.

When I first started this group, I was not at all sure how to hold the collective attention of a group of aspiring young authors so that they did not get bored or feel like they were back at school.  I eventually hit on two ways to keep their interest and I am carrying these over as the new era begins.  Firstly I will reiterate that I am not a teacher.  I am a writer and I love to write.  I also love to inspire children to write and I did not feel that there was a lot about to encourage them in Creative Writing outside of school. So in order to monitor their progress, the Two Stars And A Wish system of giving constructive feedback was initiated.  Each time I read a piece of their work, I will attach a slip with two positive comments on it (the stars) and one piece of constructive advice (the wish).  And they are of course free to talk to me if they are not sure what I mean or if they have any questions.

 I also thought it would make sense to reward the Young Writers some how by giving them something tangible that they can feel and touch and know they have earned - so the Certificate Trail was born.   The children receive a Blue Certificate just for joining.  After four completed assignments, they receive a Red Certificate.  After eight completed assignments, they receive a Purple Certificate and the creme-de-la-creme is the Rainbow Certificate which is awarded on completion of twelve assignments.  If after that, the children choose to stay I have started a Band system so that their next Red Certificate will be their Band One Red Certificate.  This differentiates it from the first Red Certificate but is still awarded for remaining focused, producing work and meeting deadlines - rather like the different coloured belts people work towards in Judo or Karate.

Once we are settled  into a routine, I will then start introducing the competitions (including any I find that specifically targets this age group) and eventually Guest Writers.  We have also done other things to expand on their experience - like writing in the park on a sunny day or going on a theatre trip - but that will all come in time.

Finally I just wanted to say thanks again for coming and that the next session is on Saturday 22nd March, same time (9.30), same place (Ashburton Library) and I look forward to seeing you there.

Good writing everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment