Monday 17 June 2013

Session 22 - Feedback

Yes - I know we didn't have a Session 22 exactly!  But here's a quick update anyway.  I was going to be collecting assignments about dads to tie in with father's day, so if your talented scribblers haven't had time to finish, they have got an extension to 14th July to get it done - that is a poem or story about dad, granddad or uncle.  What I was going to start looking at was short poems like haiku and tanka.  I thought it would be good to steer them away from fiction writing for a while, and most of them seem to enjoy writing poems.  Won't go into the rudiments of such poetry forms just yet; I will wait until I see everyone, but to get them in the mood, I think the next assignment should be to write a nature poem, either about the seasons, wildlife, flowers, clouds, animals, birds - whatever they like as long as the central theme is nature.  Here's a couple of mine from my book "Nature's Magic" which was published a few years back:

SITTING ON THE FIELD

So many shades of green,
dark - almost brown,
bright - almost glowing.
Leaf by leaf.
Tree by tree.
Grass by grass.
Hedge by hedge.
In the distance,
the hills look
almost turquoise.
So many shades of green!
(c) J P Henderson-Long - 2004


PUDDY MUDDLE!

I'm so excited,
I have to go,
the garden outside
is full of snow.
I run and play
then rush for a cuddle
after slipping into
a puddy muddle.
"A puddy muddle!" says my mum.
"A muddy puddle's
much more fun!"
(c) J P Henderson-Long - 2004

Please feel free to share these with the Young Writers so they get an idea of what I am looking for.

The next session will be from 3 - 4 on Sunday 14th July and it will be the Session in the Park (weather permitting).  Ashburton Park is only ten minutes down Lower Addiscombe Road (towards Elmers End) and there is loads of space to spread out and write and a good park to play in afterwards.  Bring along some snacks and drinks (and sun cream if it is really nice) to make something of an occasion of it, and maybe a picnic rug to sit on.  Naturally if it is raining we will meet at PMT as usual.  Should be good if we can have it in the park, though, so fingers crossed.

Think that is it for now.  I am off to Ireland on Saturday so will be gone for a couple of weeks - but you can still email or text me if you have to, I will have my beloved Nokia with me.

Once again, sorry about yesterday's session - but I am sure with their writing and enthusiasm, the members will soon make up for it.

Good writing everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment