Wednesday 5 December 2012

Session 12 Update

Hello again everyone and thank you for signing in.  Quick update following today's session.  Firstly, I have explained to the Young Writers that I am going to put a sample copy together of their book prior to sending it to the printers so that they can see what their work looks like.  It is my intention to do this by the Christmas Tea on 19th.  Secondly, I have also promised to get back on top of the certificates so that we can have a nice presentation ceremony at the Christmas Tea.  I also explained to them that the booklet is unlikely to now be ready before Christmas due to my massive workload and everything else going on, and that we will now launch the book when we have the exhibition in the New Year.  I hope they were not too disappointed.  At least they seemed very excited by the idea of their work appearing in the Croydon Advertiser, anyway!

For the session itself, I asked them to challenge their own imaginations by writing a Christmas wish list for a superhero or film/book/tv character.  They took to this task with a huge surge of enthusiasm and some of their suggestions were hilarious - a portable washing machine for James Bond (so he can was all the blood off his clothes apparently), some new clothes for The Incredible Hulk, some hair-styling scissors for Rapunzel and an electric shaver for Santa (so his beard doesn't get caught up on chimneys or full of soot).  This was a simple enough little task but the depth of their imagination was totally awe-inspiring and just goes to show how hungry they are to write write write and utilise their own creativity and ideas.  It was also very rewarding to see them working together and tossing ideas about.

Since the next session is actually our Christmas Tea (thank you Amanda), I did not set an assignment; however those of whom that wish to write are more than welcome to do so.  I left the theme open so it will be interesting to see what (or if, bearing in mind how close we are to Christmas now) they can come up with.

During the Christmas Break, I will also be reviewing the whole set-up of the group and trying to think of ways we can take this forward without it becoming repetitive or mundane, including how I can continue with the Certificate trail - and hopefully add some new dimensions to the sessions.  This, I am convinced, is going to be my biggest challenge yet, but I promise I will do my utmost to deliver and keep it fresh.  The Young Writers deserve that after all their hard work.

I look forward to seeing everyone at the Christmas Tea on 19th then.  And please don't hesitate to get in touch with any questions , comments or suggestions.  Good writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment