Sunday 13 May 2012

Hello And Welcome

This blog is to celebrate the Addiscombe Young Writers group.  In it I will keep parents up to date on what is going on, mark the achievements of the members and make myself available to any questions or enquiries the Young Writers may have as they embark upon this exciting journey.

I was seven when I produced my first book.  I wrote it, illustrated it, designed a front cover for it and bound it.  It was entitled "The Little Actress" and anyone who was anyone was shown it - teachers, neighbours, Sunday School Teacher, aunts, uncles, cousins, schoolmates, complete strangers on buses.  It was read, handled, folded and passed round so often, it fell to pieces and I threw it away - much to my mother's fury.  But by by then I had created five sequels, only one of which remains.

I knew then I wanted to be a writer when I grew up and as I grew up, I embarked upon a very long and lonely apprenticeship.  Children and Writing in those days were synonimous with school.  Nobody expected a ten year old to stay home and write, they expected that ten year old to be outside playing 'in the fresh air'.  Consequently there was no way in; nobody to ask for help.

I know things are different now.  There are a lot more options for young would-be writers.  But helping them to find their way is my dream and I knew for months that I wanted to start a group that would encourage youngsters to once again reach for their pens and discover their creativity.  The question was how?

A few years ago, I ran a series of very successful Creative Writing workshops for seven to nine year olds in conjunction with my local library.  They were incredibly well attended with youngsters as young as five turning up to take part.  Each child was encouraged to create a book that they could then take home with them and show with pride just as I had with The Little Actress all those years ago.

Popping into a new local coffee shop a few months back, I thought I'd ask owner and manager Amanda if she'd be interested in selling books by a local writer.  Something clicked, we got talking - and Addiscombe Young Writers was born. 

So a big hello and welcome to children and parents alike.  We have grasped the bull by the horns.  Now lets pepper this world with the next generation of J K Rowlings, Philip Pullmans and Julia Donaldsons.  |Let's get writing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment