Thursday 1 February 2018

Introducing I WISH poems

Hello everyone. Very good Young Writer session last Saturday with Poetry at its centre.  I introduced the idea of creating a Poetry Leaflet before the summer.  It will be less expensive than producing a book yet still give everyone the opportunity to see their work published.  If it is successful, perhaps it can be done again, but we will see.  The assignment was to write a poem on the theme of ANIMALS in any of the many poetic forms we have already covered.  All poems completed and returned on 10th February session will count towards the next certificate so it is definitely worth a go.

At that session I will also be introducing  new poetry form - the I WISH poem.  This is a comparitively easy poem to write.  It only runs to 8 or 10 lines and is doesn't have to rhyme - although if anyone would like to try it in rhyme, that is perfectly okay.  An example of an I WISH poem is:

I wish the sun would always shine.
I wish the birds would always sing.
I wish that flowers would always bloom.
I wish my gran would always smile.
I wish the baby wouldn't cry.
I wish the stars would twinkle bright
I wish that fairy tales came true
I wish, I wish, all day and night.

In this example I have rhymed the last couple of lines but because it runs in couplets, it would be quite easy to make the whole thing rhyme!  Obviously a common theme running through the poem would make sense, but I particularly like it because it is a very child-friendly poetry form that does not require too much work - just a love of words and some lively ideas.

So don't forget the date of our next session then, same time, same place.  Look forward to seeing you all.



No comments:

Post a Comment