Thursday 18 January 2018

GREAT START!!!

Wonderful to see fourteen Young Writers in attendance at last week's session - the first since the Christmas break.  I also had several enquiries which bodes well for the future.

We started off with the easy task of writing a short review and most of them rose to the challenge - even the younger ones.  As a pre-cursor to the next few sessions, the assignment set at the end of the session was to write a free-style poem since Poetry will be the on-going theme for a while; I will explain why next time.

It was nice to welcome a new member and congratulations to Naya who received her Purple certificate.  For the benefit of the new members, I will just clarify how the Certificate Trail works.  Each member gets a Blue certificate to welcome them into the group.  Upon completion of four written assignments, they receive a Red, upon completion of eight, they receive a Purple and upon completion of twelve assignments, they receive a Rainbow and that is the highest accolaide.  If they decide to stay on, they move into Band 2, and then Band 3 and so on.  I have a couple of members who are almost on their Rainbow Band 3.  As always there are little awards plus sundry competitions they can participate in; anything to give them the incentive to Keep Writing, so please encourage your young wordsmiths to take part in the assignments.

I will also just add that I am not a teacher.  I share my passion for writing and in doing so, I help the children to express themselves and grow in confidence.  I also think it is good to have a bit of competition as well as to help one another along.

I look forward to seeing you all at the next session on 27th.

No comments:

Post a Comment