Sunday 29 July 2012

Session 6 Feedback

Hello again.   I realise I owe you all an apology for forgetting in the previous post to mention the assignment.  Thank you Amanda for pointing this out to me.  The assignment for Session 5 was to write a story through the mediums of a poem or letter, I really don't mind which; it is down to the Young Writers' own personal preference.

Session 6 last Wednesday was very quiet - as I had known it would be with the schools closing and the peak holiday period beginning.  It was actually rather nice, though, to be able to work a little more closely with those youngsters that were able to come along.  We started with some feedback from the Young Writers themselves, about the sessions.  It was all very positive; not just from the Creative Writing perspective, either.  The general consensus seemed to be that they each felt they had thus far achieved a great deal, gained confidence and were thoroughly enjoying each new challenge.  One young man admits he does not like the big shout at the beginning of each session and that is fine, too.  I told him he was welcome to sit out at that point in future if it made him more comfortable, and just join in once the session itself actually got going.  This consideration was something I hadn't thought of before, but the courtesy is, of course, extended to any others who do not like it.

For the last forty five minutes or so, we snuggled round two tables together and just wrote whatever was coming into our heads at the time.  I concluded the session with the presentation of Red Certificates to those present.  All others will be given out over the course of the next session or two.  I also gave out a couple of consent forms with regards to the forthcoming Exhibition of Work and booklet.  Those of you unable to attend will receive your copy through Snail Mail in the next few days.  Finally, since there was so few of us there, I did not actually set an assignment as such.  However, I did suggest the keeping of a holiday diary, even if it is only for days out.  If your children would also like to join in with this, that'd be great.

I will only be holding one session in August and again, I am not expecting a huge turn-out. However for those likely to be available,  it will be held on Wednesday 15th, usual place and time.  Hopefully it will pick up again once the new school year commences in September.

If you are going away, I hope you have a lovely time and that the Young Writers find plenty to inspire them.

Good writing, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jilly. just checking my diary was right and yes we are looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. Its hard to know in the holidays who will be coming but yes I totally agree it was a very fruitful session last time, not that it isn't great when there are more children but great all the same. We really look forward to your sessions. See you tomorrow. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete